Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Kabobs
Cook Time: about 10 - 15 mins
Ingredients For Teriyaki Glaze:
-1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
-1 cup water
-1 tsp. ginger
- 2 Tbsp agave nectar
-1 minced garlic clove
-2 Tbsp cornstarch
-1/4 cup COLD water
-1 tsp soy sauce
Ingredients For Kabobs:
-1 package of extra firm tofu (I only used about 1/2 of the 14oz package)
-4 whole mushrooms
-1 medium to large sized red pepper
-1/2 medium red onion
-1 can of CUBED?CHUNK pineapple
Before cooking, drain tofu package. Wrap tofu in a towel and press between two cutting boards for at least 30 mins, (Carefully set a few canned goods on top of cutting board to help with pressure). While tofu is pressing, prepare glaze:
1. Combine 1 cup water, soy and teriyaki sauce, agave, garlic, and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
2.Dissolve cornstarch in 1/4cup cold water. Add to sauce mixture.
3. Stir constantly to allow sauce to thicken.
4.If sauce is too thick add a little water or soy/teriyaki sauce to thin. Set aside.
5.Once tofu is done pressing, slice into chunks and place in a ziploc bag. Add teriyaki glaze and shake well. (Save a little glaze for later, you'll need it when grilling!)
6.Place bag in refrigerator to marinade for at least 1 hour, shaking bag every now and then.
7.While tofu is marinating, cut vegetables into chunks.
8. When tofu is done marinating, take out of refrigerator. Place tofu, veggies, and pineapple onto METAL skewers, interchanging how you like.
9.Fire up the grill! Medium to high heat.
10. Cook on grill until lightly browned on all sides, turning kabobs occasionally. (About 10 mins or so, though cooking times will vary!) Baste with remaining glaze every once and awhile.
11. Remove from grill and enjoy! Add a side of white rice to make a meal.
You could win prizes by participating in this event!
Rosy Radish Relish, Navy/White Nautical Turban & Raw Vegan Chocolates
(Click here for prize details.)